A lot of dog owners have a tendency to spoil their dogs. We give them whatever they might want, especially when they look at us with those puppy eyes.
When we’re eating something and they stare longingly at our food, we get the urge to just throw a morsel their way.
Being a good pet owner involves not just feeding your dog but also knowing when not to. There are several kinds of food that are bad for dogs and may lead to all sorts of health problems.
Even if your dog has eaten these in the past and no problems arose, it may be causing internal issues that, if continued, might seriously jeopardize your dog’s health.
Here are 10 foods that you should NEVER feed your dog:
- This contains theobromine, a bitter alkaloid that is not harmful to humans but is toxic for dogs. Feeding your dog this may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Extreme cases lead to abnormal heart rhythms, seizures, tremors, or death.
Bacon and Fatty Meat
- High fat foods such as bacon, ham, or meat trimmings can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Also, the high salt content can cause upset stomachs.
- Salt can lead to sodium ion poisoning for dogs. Also, it causes dogs to become excessively thirsty and leads to frequent urination. Salt can be fatal to dogs, so keep it as little as possible in your dog’s diet.
Garlic and Onions
- These two can destroy a dog’s red blood cells and can lead to anemia, if consumed in high quantities. A small dose may not affect your dog’s health, but on large doses or even regular small doses, it can lead to poisoning.
Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream, and Other Dairy Products
- Dogs lack the enzyme to break down milk sugar, thus making dogs generally lactose intolerant.
Raw Meat, Fish, and Eggs
- The main issue in eating raw products to dogs are salmonella and E.coli infections. Raw eggs also have enzymes that can cause skin conditions.
Candy, Gum, Peanut Butter, and Baked Goods
- These contain xylitol, an alcohol that can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and may even lead to liver failure.
Grapes and Raisins
- These are known to cause kidney failure in dogs that will most likely lead to death.
- Consuming a lot of sugar can lead to obesity, dental health issues, and diabetes.
- Although avocado is harmless in the general sense, it contains persin, a substance that can be toxic in high doses.
Be sure to check whatever your dog is eating and whatever your household members are feeding him. It is important not just to keep him well-fed but also to make sure he is being fed health.